As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are longboards just a trendy mode of transportation for thrill-seekers and skateboard enthusiasts, or can they actually be a practical option for getting around? If you’re tired of the daily grind of commuting in a car or dealing with crowded public transportation, you might be wondering if longboards are a viable alternative. Well, the answer might surprise you.
Longboards offer a unique combination of speed, maneuverability, and convenience that make them a great option for transportation. Whether you’re a student trying to navigate a sprawling campus or a city dweller looking for a fun and efficient way to get to work, longboards can be a game-changer. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of using a longboard for transportation and help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.
So, if you’re ready to take a break from traffic jams and crowded buses, let’s dive into the world of longboard transportation and see if it’s the solution you’ve been searching for.
Pros Of Longboarding For Transportation
Longboarding has become a popular mode of transportation for many individuals due to its numerous advantages. Whether you’re commuting to work, school, or simply running errands around town, here are some benefits of using a longboard for transportation:
- Speed and Efficiency: Longboards provide a faster and more efficient mode of transportation compared to walking or jogging. With the ability to cruise at higher speeds, you can reach your destination in no time. Longboarding in congested areas can often get you to your destination faster than other modes of transportation.
- Maneuverability: Longboards are designed for quick turns and nimble maneuvers, allowing you to easily navigate through crowded city streets, sidewalks, and foot traffic. Unlike bicycles, longboarders can take advantage of sidewalks, eliminating the need to ride in traffic.
- Portability: Longboards are lightweight and easy to carry around. You can quickly mount and dismount your longboard and easily pick it up to carry whenever needed. This makes it convenient for situations where you need to use public transportation or have limited storage space.
- Versatility: Longboards come in various shapes and sizes, allowing you to choose the perfect board for your transportation needs. Cruiser boards with larger, softer wheels are ideal for daily commutes and provide a smooth and comfortable ride. You can also choose longboards with a low center of gravity for added stability and ease of maneuvering.
- Fun and Exhilarating: In addition to the practical advantages, longboarding offers a thrilling and enjoyable experience. It’s a great way to make your daily commute more exciting and turn your transportation into a fun activity.
Cons Of Longboarding For Transportation
While longboarding can be a convenient and enjoyable mode of transportation, it is important to consider some drawbacks before relying solely on your longboard for getting around. Here are a few possible limitations to keep in mind:
- Limited Terrain Options: Longboarding is not suitable for all types of surfaces. Rough pavements, cracked roads, and bumpy terrains can make it challenging and uncomfortable to ride a longboard. You may need to plan your routes carefully to avoid such areas or consider alternative modes of transportation in these situations.
- Safety Concerns: Like any form of transportation, longboarding comes with safety risks. There is always a chance of falling and getting injured, especially when riding in busy areas or dealing with unpredictable traffic. It is crucial to prioritize safety and wear proper protective gear, such as helmets and pads, to minimize the risk of accidents or injuries.
- Limited Carrying Capacity: Unlike bicycles or cars, longboards do not have the capacity for carrying heavy loads. While you can carry a reasonably-packed backpack, hauling larger items or groceries can be impractical. If you anticipate needing to transport heavy goods frequently, you may need to consider alternative transportation options.
- Weather Considerations: Longboarding is greatly influenced by weather conditions. Riding in wet or snowy conditions can be risky, as it increases the chances of slipping and losing control over your board. Additionally, it is important to ensure proper maintenance and protection of your longboarding gear to prevent damage from exposure to the elements.
Choosing a good longboard for transportation
When choosing a longboard for transportation, it is important to consider the shape, size, and features of your board. Here are a few tips to help you select the right longboard for your needs:
1. Longboard for short runs to the store
If you’re looking for a longboard for short runs to the store, portability and ease of pushing are key. Opt for a small to mid-sized longboard that is easy to carry around and maneuver in crowded areas. Look for a board with decently sized and soft wheels to ensure a comfortable ride on variable pavement.
One fantastic option is the Arbor Zeppelin, a stable and responsive drop-through mini-cruiser that is perfect for quick and easy transportation on short distances. Its compact size makes it easy to carry, while its soft wheels provide a smooth ride on different types of terrain. To learn more about the Arbor Zeppelin and its features, check out our full review. With this longboard, running errands to the store will be a breeze!
2. Longboard for campus cruising
When it comes to campus transportation, having a longboard can be a game-changer. Navigating narrow alleyways and crowded sidewalks becomes a breeze with a nimble and maneuverable board.
For campus cruising, it’s important to choose a board that is small enough to carry around inside buildings and easily store in a locker. The Loaded Ballona is a great example of a board that fits these criteria perfectly.
With quick-turning trucks and a kicktail for curb hopping, the Loaded Ballona provides the agility and versatility needed for tight spaces on campus. Its durability ensures that it can withstand the rigors of daily use.
While campus pavements and paths are generally smooth, you don’t necessarily need huge wheels. The Loaded Ballona strikes a balance in wheel size that is ideal for navigating campus terrain.
Whether you’re going from one class to another, or heading to the library, bookstore, or dining hall, a longboard like the Loaded Ballona offers a convenient and enjoyable means of transportation on campus. It’s a reliable companion that can make your daily commute hassle-free and even enjoyable.
3. Longboard for city transportation
When it comes to city transportation, a longboard can be an excellent choice. With its smooth ride and comfortable cruising capabilities, a longboard provides an ideal mode of transportation for navigating crowded city streets.
For inner-city travel, a mini-cruiser longboard is the perfect option. These boards are responsive, fast-turning, and easy to maneuver around foot traffic. Additionally, they are designed to easily handle cracks and bumps in the pavement, ensuring a smooth ride. Popular choices for city commuting include the Landyachtz Dinghy and the Arbor Pilsner.
If you need to cover more ground while still enjoying a nimble ride, the Loaded Poke is an excellent longboard option. This board offers a super responsive and “trackable” ride, allowing you to navigate through town with ease.
When choosing a longboard for city transportation, consider factors such as board size, wheel size, and ease of portability. Smaller boards are more suited for narrow sidewalks, while larger wheels provide better stability and shock absorption. Additionally, a longboard that is easy to carry and store, such as the Loaded Ballona, can make your daily commute hassle-free and enjoyable.
4. Longboard for distance transportation
When it comes to long-distance transportation, having a reliable and efficient longboard is essential. For commuters traveling to work or public transportation a few miles away on a daily basis, there are several types of longboards that are ideal for this purpose.
One of the key factors to consider is stability. A stable board with a low-riding profile and a longer wheelbase can provide maximum roll with minimal effort. It’s important to have a board that can maintain stability at higher speeds, especially when going downhill.
One popular option is the Arbor Dropcruiser. This double drop board is specifically designed for all-around transportation and efficient distance pushing and commuting. With its stable and low-riding platform, it offers excellent stability and control, even at higher speeds.
5. Longboard vs skateboard for transportation
When it comes to choosing between a longboard and a skateboard for transportation purposes, the answer is clear: a longboard is generally the better option. Longboards are specifically designed for transportation and offer several advantages over skateboards.
One significant advantage is the use of larger wheels. Longboards typically use bigger wheels compared to skateboards. This allows for a faster and more comfortable ride, making longboards the ideal choice for commuting and covering longer distances.
Additionally, longboards provide a smoother ride due to their larger size and softer wheels. The soft wheels absorb shocks and vibrations, making them perfect for cruising on rougher surfaces or crowded city streets. This makes longboards particularly suitable for daily commutes in urban areas with busy sidewalks and foot traffic.
For riders who also enjoy performing tricks and jumps, a traditional street skateboard with bigger, softer longboard wheels can be a good compromise. By switching wheels between transportation use and street or skatepark riding, these riders can have the best of both worlds.
6. Using a longboard for transportation as a heavier rider
If you’re a heavier rider looking for a comfortable and reliable mode of transportation, using a longboard can be a great option. Longboards designed for transportation purposes, like the Landyachtz Switchblade, are ideal for bigger and heavier riders.
These longboards typically have a bigger and lower board, allowing for easy pushing and comfortable riding. They also feature a stiffer deck and ideally a dropped platform, which provides stability. Topmount trucks and big wheels are recommended for best shock absorption, ensuring a smooth and comfortable ride even on rough surfaces.
The Landyachtz Switchblade is known for its durability and ability to withstand heavier riders without any issues. It offers a comfortable and stable longboarding experience, making it perfect for everyday transportation needs.
If you’re a bigger and heavier rider in search of a longboard for transportation, consider choosing a longboard like the Landyachtz Switchblade with its sturdy build, comfortable design, and excellent shock absorption capabilities.
Longboarding has become increasingly popular as a mode of transportation, offering a unique blend of enjoyment and practicality. Whether you’re looking to commute to work or school, longboarding can be a great option. Here are some frequently asked questions about using longboards for transportation:
Absolutely! Longboards are designed for speed and stability, making them an ideal choice for commuting. With their larger wheels and softer, more shock-absorbent wheels compared to regular skateboards, longboards offer a smooth and comfortable ride. They also provide a lower center of gravity, which enhances balance and control on city streets and rougher surfaces.
Yes, longboarding can be a fantastic way to commute. Longboards allow you to travel faster than walking or jogging, making your daily commute more efficient. Whether you’re navigating crowded sidewalks or busy city streets, a longboard can help you maneuver through foot traffic with ease. Plus, longboards are often equipped with features like cruiser boards, making them an excellent choice for daily commuting.
When using a longboard for transportation, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the specific regulations and guidelines of your location. For example, if you’re a student at Colorado State University, there are specific rules regarding longboarding on campus.
The university encourages longboarding as a commute option and provides longboard racks for secure storage near building entrances. However, it’s crucial to exercise good judgment and adhere to designated dismount zones and congested areas.
If you’re a student at Colorado State University or any other institution, longboard racks are available across campus to help you secure and lock your board outside of buildings. This ensures the safety of your longboard and minimizes the risk of theft.
Longboards are longer, wider, and have a lower center of gravity, enhancing stability and control. They are also better suited for long-distance commutes.
Yes, longboards are perfect for combining with public transportation. Their size allows for easy maneuvering on buses, trams, and trains.
It is highly recommended to wear protective gear, such as a helmet and knee pads, for your safety. This is especially important when navigating busy city streets.
Longboards are not just a fun and thrilling mode of transportation, but they also offer numerous practical benefits. From faster travel times and reduced carbon footprint to improved fitness and a sense of adventure, longboards are a fantastic choice for getting around.
So why settle for the ordinary when you can glide through life on a longboard? Embrace the freedom and excitement that comes with this unconventional form of transportation and let the journey begin!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.