As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you tired of riding the same old longboard as everyone else? Do you want to stand out from the crowd and have a board that is uniquely yours? Well, you’re in luck because customizing your longboard is easier than you think!
Longboarding has become increasingly popular in recent years, with more and more people hitting the streets on their boards. But why settle for a generic board when you can create one that reflects your personality and style? By following a few simple steps, you can transform your longboard into a one-of-a-kind ride that is as unique as you are.
Different Ways To Customize Your Longboard
When it comes to longboarding, riding a board that feels perfect for you is essential. Luckily, there are several inexpensive and easy ways to customize your longboard to make it personalized to your riding style. Here are different ways you can customize your longboard:
- Bushings: Bushings play a crucial role in the performance of your longboard trucks. With a wide variety of shapes and durometers available, you can easily find the right bushings to dial in the perfect amount of turniness and responsiveness for your board. For downhill longboarding, Venom Eliminators are popular due to their stability-enhancing shape. On the other hand, Venom SuperCarves are preferred for cruising and carving because they allow for increased carving ability. To find the best bushings for your setup, consider using an online bushing selector.
- Risers: Risers are an excellent tool for customizing your longboard. They come in various shapes and sizes and fit between your deck and the truck’s baseplate. Angled risers can change the baseplate angle, making your board more or less responsive. Flat risers are often used to prevent wheel bite by adding height between your deck and the wheels. Risers also provide increased traction for downhill setups by increasing vertical leverage over the wheels.
- Vicious Lumps: Vicious Lumps are custom foot pockets created using scraps of grip tape. Although they are typically made with Vicious grip tape, any grip tape or even duct tape can be used. By adding Vicious Lumps, you can create personalized foot placements on your board. This simple customization allows for better control and grip during your rides.
- Foot Stop: A foot stop is highly recommended for both freeriding and downhill longboarding. It helps you quickly find the correct front foot placement without needing to look down. Additionally, a foot stop ensures that your front foot stays firmly planted in the right position, no matter how intense your riding gets. You can create a foot stop using a used bushing and a few pieces of hardware. If you prefer a ready-made option, bushing foot stop kits are available at an affordable price.
- Truck Hangers: Adjusting the angles of your truck’s baseplate can significantly impact the feel and responsiveness of your board. Flipping the hanger of certain trucks can change the baseplate angle. This simple modification allows you to tailor your board’s performance to your preferences without having to buy new trucks. For high-speed and downhill riding, a flipped hanger provides more stability, while the opposite configuration offers a more turny and lively feeling.
- Chop and Re-Drill: Chopping and re-drilling your deck is a more advanced way to customize your longboard. This practice involves repositioning the truck mounting holes to transform your board into a different setup. While it requires time and effort, it allows you to create a unique and customized board that suits your riding style perfectly. Online tutorials, like the ones available on Silverfish Longboarding, can guide you through the re-drilling process.
In addition to these hardware customizations, you can also personalize the appearance of your longboard. Painting your board with your own design and colors creates a one-of-a-kind look. Alternatively, investing in colorful wheels or installing colorful shock pad risers adds a pop of style to your setup.
Paint Your Board to customize the Longboard
If you’re looking to give your longboard a unique and personalized touch, painting it is a great option. Here are some simple steps to paint your longboard and customize it to your preferences:
- Preparing the Surface: Start by removing all the hardware from your longboard, including the trucks, wheels, and any other attached parts. Keep all the nuts and bolts together in a ziplock baggie to ensure you don’t lose any pieces. Once the hardware is removed, sand the surface of your longboard to remove any old varnish or stickers. Then, give it a thorough wipe-down to clean it before proceeding to the next step.
- Put Down Your Design: Use tape to mark off the areas of your longboard that you want to remain paint-free. Then, free-hand your desired design onto the tape. Be careful when cutting away the excess tape, as any grooves without paint will still show once the finish is applied, resulting in a messy-looking finish.
- Apply Paint: Start by using spray paint to establish a base layer of color on your longboard. Once the base layer is dry, you can add splashes of acrylic paint to create additional effects or make your design look more intricate. Take your time and be creative with your paint application.
- Hang to Seal and Apply Urethane: Once the paint has dried completely, hang your longboard to ensure an even application of the sealant. Apply a waterproof sealant, like Spar Urethane, to protect your artwork and provide a glossy finish. To add grip to the top surface of your longboard, apply sand grip to one side at a time while adding the urethane. Repeat this process twice to ensure complete coverage.
- Reassemble: After the urethane has cured for 24 hours, it’s time to reassemble your longboard with all the hardware. Make sure you remember how everything goes back together, or refer to the ziplock baggie where you stored the nuts and bolts.
- Take It for a Spin: Once your longboard is fully reassembled and ready to go, take it for a spin and enjoy your newly customized ride!
Custom Longboard Grip Tape
Customizing your longboard grip tape is a great way to add a unique touch to your board. You can create a design that reflects your personal style and makes your longboarding experience even more enjoyable. Here’s how you can customize your grip tape:
- Measure Your Board Size: Before customizing your grip tape, measure your longboard to ensure that it will fit properly. Our grip tape for longboards is 11×45 inches. Cut off any excess grip tape after applying it to your board.
- Choose High Quality Grip Tape: We offer Jessup grip tape, which is the original and most widely used grip tape on the market. This high quality grip tape provides the right amount of coarseness and long-lasting durability.
- Use Permanent and Long-Lasting Inks: Our custom grip tapes are printed with high-quality inks that are designed to be permanent. The print will not rub off, ensuring that your custom design will last for the lifetime of the grip tape. Even after years of use, our grip tapes still look great.
- Design and Customize: Let your creativity run wild and design your custom grip tape. You can use markers, paint pens, or stickers to personalize your grip tape with your own unique artwork, patterns, or logos. Remember that you’ll be able to see your grip tape while riding, so choose a design that you’ll enjoy looking at.
- Apply to Your Longboard: Carefully apply your custom grip tape to your longboard, making sure to smooth out any air bubbles or wrinkles. Trim off any excess grip tape, following the outline of your board.
With these simple steps, you can easily customize your longboard grip tape to create a personalized and stylish look for your board. Enjoy the process and show off your unique design while cruising on your customized longboard.
Certainly! In addition to the graphic and deck shape, you can also select other features such as the type of trucks, wheels, and bearings. Create the perfect board that suits your riding preferences.
The cost of customizing a longboard depends on various factors, including the chosen graphic, deck shape, and additional features.
Customizing your longboard is not only a fun and creative process, but it also allows you to express your unique style and personality. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider, adding your personal touch to your board will make every ride even more enjoyable.
So, grab your tools, unleash your creativity, and get ready to ride in style! Your customized longboard will not only turn heads but also make every skate session an unforgettable experience. Happy customizing!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.